[PUBLISHED IN THE DESERET NEWS AND SALT LAKE TRIBUNE ON SUNDAY, JANUARY 29, 2017]
Legal Notice Public Notice Noncompliance with Industrial Pretreatment Standards
The Federal Clean Water Act established the National Pre-treatment Program to control the discharge of toxic and/or hazardous waste into sanitary sewer systems operated by Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTWS).
Under a delegation from EPA, the City of Orem has been given the responsibility for applying and enforcing the pre-treatment standards for industrial users served by the City of Orem.
Pursuant to the requirements of the National Pretreatment Program, the City of Orem must annually publish a list of the industrial users within its service area that have either demonstrated a pattern of noncompliance with applicable pretreatment standards or a significant noncompliance over the previous 12 months.
Reasons for reportable noncompliance include:
1. A discharge of pollutants which caused an “imminent endangerment: to the health or welfare of persons and/or to the environment.
2. A discharge which caused or substantially contributed to a violation of the POTW’s NPDES permit requirement which impaired its use of disposal of sludge.
3. Chronic Violation, Defined here as those in which 66 percent or more of all of the measurements taken for the same pollutant parameter during a 6 month period exceed (by any magnitude) a numeric Pretreatment Standard or Requirement, including instantaneous limits as defined by 40 CFR 403.3(1)
4. A discharge which exceeded any pre-treatment effluent standard (categorical or local limitation) more than 33% of the time over a 6-month period based on any sampling performed.
5. Failure to correct a violation, either effluent or compliance schedule within 45 days of the noncompliance notice by the POTW.
6. Failure to accurately report noncompliance.
7. Any other violation deemed significant by the POTW.
This notice has been issued to meet the requirement to inform the public and does not constitute any decision as to the actions, if any, necessary to remedy the industrial user noncompliance. Specific questions on any of the listed facilities may be directed to the contact listed at the bottom of this notice.
Period covered by this notice is January 1, 2016 thru December 31, 2016.
Name of Industrial user: None
Type of noncompliance: (Refer to #1 above).
Name of Industrial user: None
Type of noncompliance: (Refer to #2 above).
Name of Industrial User: Chick-Fil-A
Type of noncompliance (refer to #3 above):
Name of Industrial User: In & Out Burger, Chick-Fil-A, Café Rio, and The Woodbury Corp.
Type of noncompliance: (refer to #4 above):
Name of Industrial User: None
Type of noncompliance: (refer to #5 above):
Name of Industrial User: Tunex
Type of noncompliance: (refer to #6 above):
For further information contact Loren Willes, City of Orem, 1797 West 1000 South, Orem, Utah, 84058. (801)229-7491.